Exercise is a very important part of our health. This is especially true for the elderly. They should be as active as possible in order to have a longer and healthier life. As a health care provider in Massachusetts, we have listed the benefits of exercising for seniors below:
- It improves strength which will help you stay independent.
- It gives you more energy all throughout the day. 3. It improves your balance which will help you prevent falls.
- It helps improve your mood which in turn, will help in fighting off depression.
- It delays (and sometimes prevents) illnesses or diseases like osteoporosis, diabetes, and heart disease.
- It helps improve your brain function.
Many of the common health conditions that occur during old age are often improved by exercise. It is best to consult your doctor for safe exercises appropriate for you or seek the help of a visiting nurse agency.
Listed below are 4 safe exercises for seniors which work best included in their routine:
- Endurance Exercise – this includes jogging, walking, dancing, biking, swimming, climbing stairs, and raking or mowing.
- Strength Exercise – this includes lifting weights, using a resistance band, and doing body weight exercises like push-ups and sit ups appropriate for their age and condition.
- Balance Exercise – this includes walking heel-to-toe, standing on one foot, and doing Tai chi.
- Flexibility Exercise – this includes stretching and yoga.
To be safe, consult with your doctor first before doing these exercises. Creations Health Care, Inc. is a company that provides home health care in Stoughton, Massachusetts, that will help you get or stay fit.